Led by Coaches Harold Morioka and Sam Walker, the Greyhounds compete against athletes within their age group at local, provincial, national and international Track and Field Meets. To join the club, contact Harold at:
See the Harold Morioka story in Feature Stories.
Breaking News from Monaco:
Christa Bortignon (W75, CAN) and Charles Allie (M65, USA) received their awards for Best Masters of the Year at a WMA Awards Banquet held in Monaco on Saturday, November 16. Usain Bolt also won an athlete of the year award and appeared in a photo op with Christa and Charles. Donovan Bailey was on hand to offer his congratulations to Christa and, upon her return home, Premier Christy Clark sent her a letter of congratulations.
Upcoming Meets for The Greyhounds
February 14-16, 2014 - Kamloops Indoor Invitational
March 25-30, 2014 - World Masters Indoor in Budapest
Upcoming Practices for The Greyhounds
For the months of November and December, the team will practice Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 10am to noon. The Saturday practice will be held indoors at SFU and the weekday practices will be held outdoors at TBA venues. In the event of rain, the weekday practices will be held at Guildford Rec Centre in Surrey. For more details on practices, contact Harold Morioka and ask him to put you on the team email list.
Latest Meet Results:
Christa Bortignon Best Master of the Year
"The [World Masters Athletic Council] has decided: the Best Masters of the Year are Christa Bortignon (W75, CAN) and Charles Allie (M65, USA).
Both have amazing performances during the 2013 Year and will be awarded their titles at the IAF Gala Dinner to be held in Monaco, on Saturday 16 November. CONGRATULATIONS Christa, CONGRATULATIONS Charles!"
Christa's amazing performances during the 2013 include 7 World Records in W75 events, including the Indoor Triple Jump, 80M Hurdles, 200M Hurdles, 100M, 200M and 400M.
Greyhounds Bortignon, Morioka, Turkington, Lamothe & Kotelko compete for Canada at the Worlds in Porto Alegre, Brazil
• In the first week of competition, Christa Bortignon won gold and set a new WR in the W75 Hepathlon at the World Masters Athletic Championships in Porto Alegre. This week she won gold in the 100M, 200M, 400M, 80M Hurdles, 200M Hurdles, Triple Jump and Long Jump to run the table in all the events she entered. 8 gold medals from Christa for Canada at a World Championship!!! Wow.
• Harold Morioka won bronze in the M70 300M Long Hurdles with a time of 54.86 seconds.
• Grant Lamothe participated in the M65 Long Jump. To date, his result has not been posted on the Games website or the CMA website.
• Tom Dickson, a friend of the Greyhounds and coach of SFU's sprint team, won silver medals for Canada in the M60 100M (12.27) and 200M (25.93).
• Roy Turkington finished 24th in the M60 100M and 6th in the M60 Long Jump.
• Olga Kotelko won gold in the W90 100M, 200M, Shot Put, Discus Throw, Weight Throw, High Jump, Triple Jump and Long Jump.
Greyhound Member of the Month:
Al Percival M60
In his 3rd season with the Greyhounds, Al continues to put up sizzling numbers on the track, this year posting successive personal bests in the 100 which now stands at 12.81s, and in the 200, which now stands at 26.66s. Behind the scenes, he trains intelligently, balancing hard work on the track and in the gym with good nutrition and adequate recovery time.
Next year, he will continue to compete with the M60's and have opportunities to better his best ever M60 times of 12.81 in the 100 and 26.56 in the 200.
Contact the Greyhounds Track and Field Club
Executive members include:
Les Fowler - President • Al Percival - Vice-President
Urith Hayley - Secretary/Treasurer • Bruce Hill - Webmaster
Harold Morioka - Coach • Sam Walker - Assistant Coach
Support our Silver Medal Sponsor:
DUSTY ROADS? ICY ROADS?
NO JOB IS TOO BIG OR TOO SMALL
Phone: 604-464-4389 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more info, link to website: http://www.dustaway.ca